Jump to the content zone at the center
  • Web Accessibility 2.1 Guidelines Approbal Level AA
  • Please scan QR code to visit website.

How do parents of a child born out of wedlock to a foreign national mother and ROC national father file the child's household registration? How does the biological father file for paternity?

(I) The child who has not been recognizer by his/her biological father is considered a foreign national and can not file for household registration. However those whose children are under 20 years old by the time of the Nationality Law amended on Feb. 9th 2000, application must be filed in accordance with Immigration Law and Related regulation, no need to apply for the ROC citizenship.
(II) Registration of Parentage.
1. Application Process
If the child has not yet acquired ROC citizenship, the parentage application shall be recorded in the biological father’s household registration.
(1) The biological father should file application with any household registration office.
(2) When the biological father is not able to apply in person, she/he may appoint a representative by power of attorney (power of attorney established abroad must be translated and notarized by R.O.C. foreign missions); that person with power of attorney must be approved by the jurisdictional Civil Administration Office.
2. Required Documents
(1) Written parentage documents which meet ROC and foreign legal standards.
(2) Adoptee’s birth certificate (birth certificate made abroad must be translated in Chinese and be notarized by R.O.C. foreign missions).
(3) Applicant’s proof of identification and seal (or signature).
Marital status certificate of mother must be translated into Chinese and authenticated by R.O.C. foreign missions.