Jump to the content zone at the center
  • Web Accessibility 2.1 Guidelines Approbal Level AA
  • Please scan QR code to visit website.

How do parents of a child born legitimately to a foreign national father and an ROC national mother file the child's household registration?

(I) After the Nationality Law was amended on Feb. 9th, 2000, parents of a child born legitimately in the ROC to a foreign national father and an ROC national mother shall file the child's household registration at the household registration office of mother's area .(However those whose children are under 20 years old (born after Feb.10th ,1980),by the time of the Nationality Law promulgated, can apply for Permanent Residency at the National Immigration Agency in order to file initial household registration .) The child's Chinese surname should be recorded in accordance with the rules regulating in the Article 1059, Civic Law and the Chinese customs of using surname. The order of birth is recorded according to the father's part; even the father is a foreign national. Those whose children were born abroad should file the application along with the identification certificate translated in Chinese issued by competent organizations abroad and notarized by ROC representative office.
(II) Application Process
1. Child born in the ROC
(1) Either parent may apply through the mother’s district household registration office.
(2) When adopting parent is not able to apply in person, she/he may appoint a representative by power of attorney (power of attorney established abroad must be translated into Chinese and notarized by ROC foreign missions).
2. Child born Abroad
(1) If the child is younger than 20, entering the ROC using an ROC passport, entry permit or foreign passport, the family head or legal representative may apply for initial household registration to local household registration office with the permanent resident certificate.
(2) If the child is older than 20, application may apply for permanent residency for the child first and, with that, apply for household registration in accordance with Immigration Law and Related regulations.
(III) Required Documents:
1. Child born in the ROC
(1) Applicant’s identification and seal (or signature).
(2) Mother’s household registration.
(3) Original of birth certificate (agreement of children’s surname enclosed).
2. Child born abroad
(1)Household certificate of the applicant for initial household registration, family head or legal representative’s ID card and seal(or signature);
(2)Permanent resident certificate(1 photograph enclosed).