Jump to the content zone at the center
  • Web Accessibility 2.1 Guidelines Approbal Level AA
  • Please scan QR code to visit website.

How are marriages between R.O.C. citizens and foreigners registered?

Documents required:
If you married in Taiwan, you will need to prepare:

  1. Household certificate
  2. ROC ID card
  3. seal (signature).
  4. One photograph
  5. Marriage Agreement (bearing signatures of two witnesses)
  6. Chinese name declaration.
  7. Identification Cards of foreign spouses. 
  8. Marital status certificates of the parties with Chinese translation (shall be notarized and authenticated by Taiwan diplomatic missions; the Chinese translation shall be notarized by a notary public in Taiwan if the translation is done in Taiwan) (Effective for 6 months from the date of issuance) .

If you married abroad, you will need to prepare:

  1. Household certificate
  2. R.O.C. ID cards
  3. Seals (signature)
  4. One photograph
  5. Marriage certificates with Chinese translation and certified (verified) by R.O.C. foreign missions, plus “This juridical act conforms to the formal requisites under the law of the place affixed. Then marital status certificates could be exempted.
  6. Identification cards (e.g., passport) of foreigen spouses.
  7. If the foreign spouses unable to return to the R.O.C. with the nationals, then additionally the foreign spouse must submit his/ her Chinese name declaration certified by R.O.C. foreign missions.

    1. If you married in Taiwan,you and your spouse shall apply for marrige registration in person in any household registration office. However, the applicant can be one of the parties if the marriage was effective.
    2. If your country is one of the particular countries announced by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you need to complete the marriage registration in your country first. Afterwards, submit all necessary documents to ROC embassy/consulate/ representative office to apply for an interview. Then, complete the marriage registration at any household registration office in Taiwan with the marriage document verified by ROC embassy/consulate/ representative office. Please contact ROC embassy/consulate/ representative office in your country for relevant details.